Saturday, August 21, 2010

Salad With Gorgonzola & Caramelized Pears

I had my heart set on making this salad but time was short so the pears didn't get as caramelized as I had hoped...so please give yourself plenty of time if you decide to prepare this tasty salad!

The cinnamon/sugar coated pecan recipe can be found in yesterday's post and believe me, you could have a snacking good time with these!

As you can see from the photo's, there are two variations of this salad and we much prefer the vinaigrette on the yellow plated salad!

The idea for this recipe came from a Pillsbury publication some time ago...I have way too many recipe clippings, cookbooks, food magazines, recipe cards, etc....or do I????

Vinaigrette #1 (not to be confused with #2 that is my favorite)

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Mix together and place in fridge to combine flavors....

Caramelized Pears

2 - 4 tablespoons butter
3 - 4 firm, but ripe pears (peel, core & slice into eighths)
1 - 4 teaspoons sugar (depending on sweetness of pears)

In a large pan, melt the butter over high heat, add the pears & sugar. Cook & stir for about 10 minutes until the pears are tender and caramelized. Remove from heat and cool slightly.

Salad

6 - 8 cups romaine lettuce (or you can use spring greens)
1/2 cup red onion, sliced (or green onions)
1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled

Vinaigrette #2 (our favorite)

Cherry Vinaigrette from Six Lugs which I have referred to many times on this blog.
It is delicious and handy when time is an issue!!!

I chose to assemble the salad on individual plates but you could surely prepare the salad portion and mix with pears & pecans and serve in a large salad bowl.

This will be on the menu again this fall when the pears are ripe in our neck of the woods!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to have this salad again and again! It was delicious and it came on a night where I really appreciated someone cooking for me.

    ReplyDelete