Friday, July 8, 2011

Red, White & Blue Hair Pretty


I have had my eye on hair pretties for some time now...just waiting for Maggie's hair to get a little longer!

The time was right and a holiday on the horizon was a great time to try my hand at making a fun little pretty for Maggie's hair!

When Caribe & Courtney were little girls I made many barrette's for their hair and they always looked so cute!!!

I purchased dowels and cut them to fit a foil-lined cookie sheet. Then I wrapped grosgrain ribbon on the dowels and secured with clip clothespins. I baked the ribbon covered dowels in a 250 degree oven for 25 minutes...and don't worry they do not burn but watch closely!

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
Now you remove the clothes pins and unwind the ribbon and be amazed at how the ribbon stays curled!
You can put a bit of fray-check on the ends so the ribbon doesn't fray.
I cut the ribbons in pieces that would fit the small clip, use your judgment for length.
Place a 12" piece of carpet thread onto working surface and place the ribbon on top...then gather up tightly and tie off the thread securely.
You can now hot glue the pretty onto the clip.

I covered the clip with ribbon to give it a finished look!

So easy and fun to do for a sweet little girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment