Thursday, August 13, 2015

Stuffed Green Peppers

 When you visit a Farmer's Market in our neck of the woods, this time of the year, the selection is amazing!
 The enormous green peppers immediately caught my eye and I couldn't resist purchasing them. 
 Stuffed pepper ideas began to stream through my mind...
This is what I came up with and we will file this recipe in the g0-to section.

Stuffed Green Peppers:

1 cup cooked rice
1/3 cup diced onions
1 clove garlic, diced
1 pound ground chuck
Ketchup
Brown sugar
Salsa
Dried cherries
Green onions
Shredded cheese

While the rice was cooking, I sauteed the onions and garlic in olive oil.  I then added the ground chuck and cooked until done. 

I then added about 3/4 of the cooked rice to the mixture.  

Then, using the ketchup and salsa, I added enough to create a moist mixture.  Add brown sugar to taste, mixing well.

Add dried cherries to taste and cook long enough for the cherries to plump a bit.

Cut the tops off the peppers, wash and dry well.  Fill peppers with rice mixture and place in a 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.

Upon removing peppers from oven, immediately shred some cheese on top and sprinkle with sliced green onions.

I always line my baking dish with aluminum foil to make clean-up easier.

Also, I do not blanch the peppers and I find they keep their shape during the baking process.

~Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment