Tuesday, May 4, 2010

It's Cherry Blossom Time

Yes, it is Cherry Blossom Time in Michigan and the orchards are in full bloom! These particular blossoms are on the south side of our residence and how beautiful to gaze out the window and take in the splendor of nature.

The orchard that exists at present time is but a few very old trees that were part of the original cherry orchard belonging to Uncle Alfred. During my growing up years Uncle Alfred cared for the orchard and then my Dad took over when Uncle Alfred somewhat retired. My parents, along with my brother & myself picked cherries (sweets & tarts) every summer. I saved my money for school clothes & placed the remainder in the bank for a college fund.

One of so many memories at the orchard was walking down to the creek at lunch time and getting a nice cup of the best tasting water ever...so cold (partly because the tin cup we used was kept right in the water).

I am so grateful for the memories but I did do some grumbling getting up early during summer vacation only to have the sweat bee's sting the back of your knees & have cherry juice running down your arms...but the money was good & we did have plenty of family stories to tell during the long days.

No comments:

Post a Comment